GDC is proud to have been able to contribute to the growth of the International Council of Graphic Design Associations (Icograda) and GDC members can take pride in the important contributions made by three former presidents of Icograda. Please read the following letter from Jacques Lange, the 2005-07 President of Icograda.
Letter to GDC from Jacques Lange, Icograda President, November 29, 2005
“Ever since I became involved in design profession management I have been inspired by the work of the GDC. The high level of professionalism in which it conducts its business, the vigour with which it promotes the status of the profession, the serious commitment that it has to develop its members, the innovative way that it embraces technology and develop original programming, and the great sense of community that it fosters for its members is truly admirable.
GDC has also been one of the most active members in the Icograda community and has contributed greatly to the work of the Council. It has delivered an unprecedented three Icograda presidents, Walter Jungkind (1974-1977), Jorge Frascara (1985-1987) and Robert L Peters (2001-2003), and two other executive board members, Albert Ng (1995-1997) and now, David Berman (2005-2007). Under Walter's tenure, he and Kenji Ekuan initiated the first discussions to form an formalised alliance between Icograda and the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design (ICSID). It took around 35 years to realise this vision bur Walter and Kenji's foresight, is today more relevant than ever before. Under Jorge's leadership Icograda expanded its membership in Latin America and he continued to build upon the remarkable work that Walter initiated in making design education a strategic imperative for Icograda.
I had the privilege to serve on the Icograda board in Robert's tenure. He was responsible for bringing Icograda into the Cyber Age and he conceived and implemented Icograda's digital resources - a WWW presence that is now the anchor of Icograda's activities and an eNews that disseminates worldwide information on design activities to tens of thousands (possibly many more) of designers on a weekly basis. Rob also developed the Icograda Media Network (IDMN), rekindled the Friends of Icograda initiative, made a huge contribution to the activities of Design for the World, as well as being a key player in final formation of the International Design Alliance (IDA). For me personally, Rob was an inspiring leader, a great mentor and trusted friend.
Additionally, the Canadian design community and the Québec government had made a great contribution to the global design community by offering Icograda, Icsid and the IDA a home base for its secretariats in Montreal. It is a space that all are proud off.
Canada has done lots of good for international design and I am specifically humbled by the GDC's support of me as an individual since it nominated me for the position of president elect in 2001 and again in 2003. During the next two years, Icograda is planning two official events in Canada and many of its initiatives will be steered from there. I am looking forward to collaborating with David Berman and many others during the next two years.”
- The Society of Graphic Designers of Canada (GDC) is a member-based organization of design professionals, educators, administrators, students and associates in communications, marketing, media and design related fields.
- The facts about Canada's National certification program for graphic and communication designers in Canada
- La Société des designers graphiques du Canada (DGC) est l’association nationale du design graphique au Canada.
- The GDC serves and promotes the profession
- The GDC has a variety of committees which focus on nationally oriented programs and areas of concern.
- FAQs about GDC membership, hiring a designer, and becoming a graphic designer.
- All GDC members subscribe to and abide by our code of ethics.
- Principles for GDC members to follow and definition of sustainable design.
- GDC is Canada's professional organization for graphic designers
- Learn more about the GDC
- 2006 marked the 50th anniversary of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada
- GDC was the first non-European member of the International Council of Communication Design.
- GDC's active membership in Icograda contributes to the international design community.
- Society of Typographic Designers of Canada (TDC) founded in Toronto in 1956 by Frank Davies, John Gibson, Frank Newfeld, and Leslie (Sam) Smart.
- The GDC National Executive is voted from the National Council and serve a 2-year term...
- The GDC National Executive is voted from the National Council and serve a 2-year term,...