It’s been far too long since we all convened. Join the Manitoba chapter of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada as we unveil and unravel our ninth PechaKucha Night in Winnipeg (and first of four events for 2012).
We've scritched and scoured the Winnipeg creative scene to construct a Frankenstein of awesomeness for another evening of inspiration. From designers and bloggers to photog-gers and polar bear experts, Vol. 9, guarantees good times – guaranteed.
No word of a lie, we present the stars of our show:
Andrew Lennard Taylor Bickford, fashion designer
Stephen Gray, Mark Hiebert, Chris Radtke, At First Sight Films
Daniel Gurevich, mens’ fashion blogger
Tim “Co-op” Hoover, DJ/recording artist
Ivan Hughes, videographer
Stephen Petersen, head of conservation and research, Assiniboine Park Zoo
Kyle Romaniuk (managing director) & Chris Clarke (head of digital), ClarkHuot/Cocoon
Michael Sanders, designer/photographer
Ruth Shead, producer, CBC Radio
Anja Studer, artist
Ron Thiessen, photographer/executive director, CPAWS Manitoba
What: PechaKucha Night, Vol. 9 in Winnipeg
When: Thursday February 23 – doors open at 7:30 pm (first speaker hits the stage at 8:20 pm)
Where: Park Theatre, 698 Osborne Street
How Much: $5 (suggested donation, at the door)
PechaKucha Nights fill the room fast, so come early, nab that seat and make yourself comfortable.
Stay tuned to the following feeds as we introduce the players, and any further details are announced:
PechaKucha Night was devised in Tokyo in 2003 as an event for designers to meet, network and to show their work in public. The concept has since gone global, with events happening in cities around the world. Drawing its name from the Japanese term for the sound of conversation ("chit chat"), it rests on a presentation format based on a simple idea: 20 images x 20 seconds – keeping presentations concise and moving at a rapid and entertaining pace.
Eager to know more? Check out everything PechaKucha here, or scroll through this PechaKucha backgrounder.
See you there!
- February 24 - 25Location: Vancouver, BCLearn to speak, breathe and drive innovation.
Profit x Design Conference & Workshops
- February 23 6:30 pm - 10:00 pmLocation: Shebeen Whisky HouseJoin GDC/BC for our AGM and Social. Learn about our achievements in 2011 and our goals for 2012. While you're there, drink fine whiskey!
- February 23 7:30 pm - 10:00 pmLocation: Park Theatre, 698 Osborne StreetLet us just say here and now: this year is damned lucky it has an extra day in it, because GDC Manitoba is stuffing the calendar with so much eclectic creative goodness that 2012 won’t know what’s what. To wit, PechaKucha Night in Winnipeg, Vol. 9 – our decisive response to the February blahs.
- February 22
- February 08 7:00 pm - 11:00 pmLocation: Amigos CantinaNOTE: CHANGE OF VENUE
Meet, greet and eat at one of our favorite venues, Amigo's, and check out our playlist for 2012. Help us fill the B-side – the best event idea goes on the list! The next smash hit could be yours!
- February 04 11:00 am - 1:00 pmLocation: Lougheed House, 707 - 13 Avenue SW, CalgaryLocation: Lougheed House, 707 - 13 Avenue SW, Calgary
Date: Saturday, February 4, 2012
Time: 11:00 am
Format: Brunch meeting
- February 03 8:30 am - 10:00 amLocation: W2 Media CafeThis month's creative talk features Gagan Diesh
- January 11 - February 10Location: Regent College, Vancouver, BCScriptures/calligraphy by GDC Fellow Friedrich Peter