Join us with Kem-Laurin Kramer, user-experience strategist, innovator, dreamer of solutions — and now author — for her book launch on June 28th at the George Brown School of Design.
Her book, User Experience in the Age of Sustainability, focuses on the economic, sociological and environmental movement in business to make all products including digital ones more sustainable. Not only are businesses finding a significant ROI from these choices, customers are demanding this responsible behaviour.
On June 28th, enjoy a book launch and an evening of passionate discussion with Kem as she looks at the practice of user experience through the lens of sustainability. Take the opportunity to ask questions and learn from an expert in the field of UX with drinks, good company and, of course, hors d’oeuvres.
Date & Time
Thursday, June 28th
6:00 – 8:00pm
George Brown College School of Design
230 Richmond St. East, Room 108
About the Book
The book has a practical take and provides a framework along with case studies and some of Kem’s own personal stories from doing this work successfully. Both hardware and software design is covered in the book.
- Learn about the fundamentals of sustainability and how it can change the future of user experience professionals
- Learn how to integrate sustainability into designs with a solid framework using user research methodology, techniques, and purposeful metrics
- Find out how to integrate sustainability frameworks into the software and product development cycles
- Find out how sustainability applies to mobile and digital products with discussions on user messaging, dematerialization, and efficient design
- See how companies have made it work with case studies
About the Author
Kem-Laurin Kramer is a User Experience Strategist, Innovator and Dreamer of Solutions. She has worked in a number of market vertical including Mobile, Web Design, Logistics & Assembly; Energy & Automation; Information & Communication Networks; Medical Imaging & Health Information Systems (Financial & Clinical), to name a few. More recently, she is engaged on GIS, Courts & Justice, Permitting, Licensing and Compliance, and Freedom of Information in the space of citizen centric solutions.
Kem-Laurin is also a pioneer of formal User Experience Research practice at Research in Motion (makers of Blackberry), championing the building of the company’s first ever Usability lab and subsequent growth of the practice at the company.
Prior she was worked with Siemens USA & Germany, in the space of Medical, Logistics, Automation, Telecom, where she used her unique background in Media, usability and communications to drive this practice through a growth period. Today she works as a UX Consultant and occasionally speaks at local events on the topic of user experience and sustainability. Apart from being active in local User Experience community, extolling the virtues of embracing Sustainability UX analytic practices, Kem-Laurin has also given lectures and talks at local universities, as well as written for Johnny Holland Ux Magazine. She has also co-authored a chapter in “Usability and Internationalization of Information Technology: Travel Planning on the Web: A Cross-Cultural Case Study.”
She is passionate about Sustainable design and in her spare time, she spends time writing, adores gardening, renovating and spending time with friends and family.
Sponsored by the George Brown School of Design
- June 28Location: Toronto
- June 21 11:30 am - 1:00 pmLocation: ArcasSpeak more betterer to developers.
- June 21 6:00 pm - 10:00 pmLocation: Park Theatre, 698 Osborne StreetIt's the tenth edition of PechaKucha Night in Winnipeg, and to celebrate our tin/aluminum anniversary of the peachy perfection of PechaKucha in this fair city, GDC Manitoba is hosting PKNX on the longest day of the year: June 21, the start of summer.
- June 17 12:00 pm - 3:00 pmLocation: Gazebo at the Saskatoon Forestry farmJoin us for a Sponsors Appreciation BBQ, July 17th, 12-3pm at the Saskatoon forestry Farm, Click on the full Article for full details
- June 08 8:30 am - 10:00 amLocation: W2 Media Café, 111 West Hastings Street Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 1H4 CanadaCreativeMornings is a monthly morning gathering for creative types. Each event includes a 20 minute lecture, followed by a 20 minute group discussion. The gathering begins at 8:30am with the topic presentation starting at 9:00am and everyone taking off for work at 10am.
CreativeMornings are free of charge!
- June 06 - 07"The Interlink Conference is a small hand-crafted event created for web professionals of all types. Explore the intersection of web design, code, and content during 2 empowering days of curated talks and workshops in Vancouver. (Plus, there’s dodgeball.)"
- May 24 - June 22