Written by Steven Heller
From: Voice: Journal of Design in Off the cuff.
"Founded by editor emeritus Rick Poynor, EYE came into being at a very critical time in graphic design history: it was the beginning of the digital revolution, which propelled the so-called Postmodern aesthetic and Deconstruction movements. It was a time when type and layout experimentation was fervent, and literary and other communications theories raised the ”discourse” of graphic design. For the past seven years, John Walters has been the third editor of EYE (following Max Bruinsma), and for the past seven years, has assumed editorship following a unique period of discovery and controversy. On the occasion of the 60th issue Walters talks about EYE's history and what he has done to both preserve its legacy and make it relevant today."
Click here for the interview.
With permission of Eye Magazine.
- The Anatomy of a Character
By Ilene Strizver
- by FunctionFox CEO, Mary-Lynn Bellamy-Willms
- Contacting the media with your story doesn't have to be stressful. By Shaun Crowley
- Are you doing your best to make sure you and your client are on the same page? by Shaun Crowley
- Putting your words to work by Shaun Crowley
- 20 GDC Fellows Look at 50 Years of Design in Canada
- 20 compagnons de la GDC se penchent sur 50 ans
- Celebrating GDC's 50th Anniversary and more
- What makes a graphic designer? by Walter Jungkind, FGDC
- Can designers change the world? by Rebecca Collings
- Interview with EYE magazine's editor-in-chief John Walters
- Our work affects other people and the rest of the world. Are we doing our best?
- Feature article on Icograda's website
by Erik Spiekermann, Form magazine
- by Jeff Fisher, Engineer of Creative Identity, Jeff Fisher LogoMotives
- Interview with David Berman by Margaret Ann Varner
- Free podcasts from the Design Council's InterSections conference
- The Design Currency conference theme lives on through the calculator website
- Sustainability, process, creativity, innovation, value - what are the components of good design?