The GDC National Council, comprised of your Chapter representatives, have made a number of significant changes to membership categories. On September 15, 2010, delegates voted on and approved categories that will provide the GDC with a streamlined application process and an enhanced Certification status.
In summary, the Graduate and LGDC categories have been eliminated; the Associate category has been re-named Affiliate and limited to non-designers; and Professional Member (MGDC) has been changed to CGD certification. The certification process is unchanged. It is simply a clearer and more definitive honourific, with the same requirements and case study portfolio review.
A new Provisional category has been established for: those members who have applied online for Certification and are awaiting case study portfolio review; recent graduates; and those working in the field of graphic design who do not yet have the required qualification for Certification.
How these changes may affect you:
There are no changes to the Student category. Students are encouraged to use the following text reference (without the GDC logo) on their own promotional materials and websites: Student Member, Society of Graphic Designers of Canada
This category has been eliminated as of January 1, 2011. As a current Graduate member, there is nothing you need to do as your membership will automatically be transitioned to the new Provisional category on January 1st. In order to make the Provisional category accessible to new graduates, this category will have a three-level membership dues structure. On your 2011 renewal date, you will be charged the first and lowest level renewal rate. The National portion of the dues will increase in the second and the third year and remain static thereafter. As Provisional members, you are encouraged to use the following text reference (without the GDC logo) on your promotional materials and websites: Provisional Member, Society of Graphic Designers of Canada
As of December 1, 2010, the GDC will no longer be accepting applications for the LGDC category. All current LGDCs may continue to use the LGDC honourific until January 1, 2013. It is anticipated that current LGDCs will use this two year period as an opportunity to gain the necessary qualifications to apply for the CGD category. LGDC members who have not transitioned into the CGD category by January 1, 2013 will be automatically placed into the Provisional category at the level three rate.
Current MGDC members are encouraged to begin using the certification mark "CGD" immediately and by January 1, 2011 at the latest. CGD certified members may use the GDC logo and the following text reference on their promotional materials: CGD, Society of Graphic Designers of Canada. To obtain a copy of the logo, please contact Melanie MacDonald at or log-in to the Members Only area of the website and look under Resources.
The Associate category will become the Affiliate category as of January 1, 2011. This category is limited to non-designers. If you are a practicing designer who is presently in the Associate category, please contact your membership chair prior to January 1, 2011.
Every effort has been made to minimize the transitional process for members, and to have the changes as revenue-neutral as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your local membership chairperson or the National Secretariat.
- May 05, 2013Design leader, typographer extraordinaire & educator passes away.
- April 13, 2013World Communication Design Day April 27: how will you celebrate it?
- March 26, 2013Applied Arts is Canada's premier magazine of the communication arts.
- March 13, 2013New National Scholarships Announced for 2013
- February 27, 2013Application deadline April 15, 2013
- February 25, 2013Carl Dair (1912-1967) Typographic Designer
- February 19, 2013Don't miss the P22 Underground type sale for members!
- February 19, 2013Take a Digital Media Labour Market Survey.
- February 14, 2013University of Toronto responds to demand
- February 08, 2013Canadian typography mates with Canadian technology.
- December 17, 2012How many shopping days left?!?! Yikes!!!
- December 13, 2012Special eNews edition for all you Holiday Givers!
- November 23, 2012$15 for 16 cards!!! Holy Black Friday Batman!!!
- November 14, 2012Designers, designer cards, designer prizes, designer members, designer sales, designer ethics, all things designer.
- November 03, 2012GDC well represented in the Student Awards
- October 22, 2012Great cause, great prizes to be won!
- October 11, 2012
- October 10, 2012Historic news from across the country and around the globe.
- October 01, 2012Working together to raise awareness of the value of the certification of designers worldwide
- September 29, 2012Want to create the new identity & brand platform for Canada's national design association?
- September 25, 2012
- September 12, 2012Welcome back to school!
- August 08, 2012Acknowledgement for Lifetime Contributions to Design
- August 07, 2012...a significant step forward in unifying, refining and enhancing visual communications certification in Canada.
- August 07, 2012Tasty design news from across the country.
- July 16, 2012National Survey closes at midnight tonight
- July 01, 2012Vintage poem and Canadian letterpress typography to commemorate Canada Day.
- July 01, 2012Canada Type builds a legacy for Canadian typography students with a new GDC National Scholarship Fund
- June 15, 2012Calling all Canadian Creatives!
- June 15, 20122012 National Scholarship Recipients Announced
- May 30, 2012GDC@50 Poster Sale to Benefit GDC Foundation
- May 30, 2012GDC is proud to support this inaugural workshop organized by Rod McDonald FGDC and Patrick Griffin of Canada Type.
- May 23, 2012New National Executive & Fellows Announced
- May 07, 2012First election in memory to decide president.
- April 13, 2012Get ready to commemorate World Communication Design Day
- March 27, 2012BC Design Leader Loses Battle with Cancer
- March 20, 2012It must feel like spring somewhere out there...
- March 15, 2012Sales from font to support GDC design education programs.
- March 02, 2012Don’t let your certification inadvertently lapse.
- February 29, 2012Long time collaborative relationship formalized.
- February 20, 2012Sharing the love of design.
- February 20, 2012A Canadian icon who followed his own unique path and style.
- February 15, 2012GDC Foundation Announces the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship
- January 31, 2012January marks the launch of the GDC’s Annual Chapter Member Surveys
- January 25, 2012New Group Benefits Plan includes dental, medical, life, disability and critical illness insurance.
- January 16, 2012Deadline of January 20, 2012
- January 13, 2012All the news that is design-worthy!
- December 12, 2011Donate and your name will be entered to win!
- December 01, 2011GDC Fellow, graphic designer, illustrator, artist, NSCAD Professor Emeritus and mentor, Horst Deppe, has passed away at the age of 82.
- November 30, 2011Only 25 days until Christmas... get working on that office promo now!!