Ottawa ON –The GDC Foundation is pleased to announce a new educational scholarship for design students. The Ray Hrynkow Scholarship is to be awarded to a third year student in a four-year design degree program. The award will go to a candidate showing great promise as a “thinking” designer — one who demonstrates an understanding of sociology and anthropology in their work.
The scholarship will award $500 this year, through the GDC National Scholarship program which is judged in April.
The Scholarship is named for Ray Hrynkow CGD, FGDC, a Vancouver design professional who was awarded Fellowship in the Society Graphic Designers of Canada in 2011. He is president of Herrainco Brand Strategy & Design in Vancouver, BC, which he established with his wife, Casey Hrynkow CGD, FGDC, in 1986. He is a graduate of the Vancouver School of Art and later Emily Carr University of Art + Design, and has worked in a broad range of retail, editorial, and financial design which has fuelled his passion & love of strategic branding & design.
The Scholarship both honours Ray’s career and promotes “intelligent design,” which has been fundamental to his practise and something he always encouraged in students and young designers.
“The scholarship is for the thinking designer,” said Ray. “This could range from an understanding of how to better motivate human beings to honour their planet, to understanding what it means to be a single parent, to anything in between. It doesn't necessarily have to be altruistic, simply intelligent and not materialistic.”
Ray began his career after graduating with a diploma in Graphic Design from Vancouver School of Art in 1977, working as a designer with Westworld Magazine in 1978. He became it’s art director shortly thereafter, and built the magazine’s reputation, winning awards for art direction and design. The firm grew to a complement of 10 designers and support staff by 1995. He began designing award winning annual reports, first with MacMillan Bloedel and then with many more of British Columbia and Canada's largest companies. His annual reports for Nisga’a Lisims Government were judged to be in the top 100 three years in a row by the American AR100 show. His knowledge of design and design process has launched successful brands and communications for companies as diverse as AOL/Tegic, Aboriginal Tourism BC, City of Coquitlam, Petro-Canada, Methanex Corporation, Citizens Bank of Canada, Nisga’a Lisms Government and the University of British Columbia, Escents Aromatherapy, Granville Eyeland, City of Coquitlam and the Aboriginal Tourism Association of BC.
He has frequently served on national design panels and judging committees, and actively volunteered to the GDC BC Chapter executive. He has often served as a mentor to young designers who work to achieve GDC certification and guidance on ethics and professional best practices.
The Scholarship represents the GDC Foundation’s commitment to provide scholarships for designers. This is the Foundation’s first named scholarship.
For more information regarding the GDC Scholarship program click here: http://www.gdc.net/education/scholarships_and_awards/articles/91.php
Click here to download a scholarship application form in English.
Click here to download a scholarship application in French.
About the GDC Foundation:
The Society of Graphic Designers of Canada Foundation is building a fund to help designers, educators, students and researchers. It will fund research, special projects, scholarships for students and professional designers, and offer short-term financial assistance for designers experiencing career-challenging difficulty. The Foundation is currently raising its initial capital through donations and bequests from designers, sponsors, educators and others in related fields.
For more information,
or to make a donation to the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship Fund
or to the GDC Foundation
contact Peggy Cady CGD, FGDC
GDC Foundation Committee Chair
Donate online: www.gdc.net/about/store.php
Click "Donate" at the GDC Store and click through to make your donation.
When you receive your email receipt, reply to the email (email@example.com)
to request that your donation be applied to the GDC Foundation Ray Hrynkow Scholarship fund. (problems? call toll free 1-877-496-4453)
- May 05, 2013Design leader, typographer extraordinaire & educator passes away.
- April 13, 2013World Communication Design Day April 27: how will you celebrate it?
- March 26, 2013Applied Arts is Canada's premier magazine of the communication arts.
- March 13, 2013New National Scholarships Announced for 2013
- February 27, 2013Application deadline April 15, 2013
- February 25, 2013Carl Dair (1912-1967) Typographic Designer
- February 19, 2013Don't miss the P22 Underground type sale for members!
- February 19, 2013Take a Digital Media Labour Market Survey.
- February 14, 2013University of Toronto responds to demand
- February 08, 2013Canadian typography mates with Canadian technology.
- December 17, 2012How many shopping days left?!?! Yikes!!!
- December 13, 2012Special eNews edition for all you Holiday Givers!
- November 23, 2012$15 for 16 cards!!! Holy Black Friday Batman!!!
- November 14, 2012Designers, designer cards, designer prizes, designer members, designer sales, designer ethics, all things designer.
- November 03, 2012GDC well represented in the Student Awards
- October 22, 2012Great cause, great prizes to be won!
- October 11, 2012
- October 10, 2012Historic news from across the country and around the globe.
- October 01, 2012Working together to raise awareness of the value of the certification of designers worldwide
- September 29, 2012Want to create the new identity & brand platform for Canada's national design association?
- September 25, 2012
- September 12, 2012Welcome back to school!
- August 08, 2012Acknowledgement for Lifetime Contributions to Design
- August 07, 2012...a significant step forward in unifying, refining and enhancing visual communications certification in Canada.
- August 07, 2012Tasty design news from across the country.
- July 16, 2012National Survey closes at midnight tonight
- July 01, 2012Vintage poem and Canadian letterpress typography to commemorate Canada Day.
- July 01, 2012Canada Type builds a legacy for Canadian typography students with a new GDC National Scholarship Fund
- June 15, 2012Calling all Canadian Creatives!
- June 15, 20122012 National Scholarship Recipients Announced
- May 30, 2012GDC@50 Poster Sale to Benefit GDC Foundation
- May 30, 2012GDC is proud to support this inaugural workshop organized by Rod McDonald FGDC and Patrick Griffin of Canada Type.
- May 23, 2012New National Executive & Fellows Announced
- May 07, 2012First election in memory to decide president.
- April 13, 2012Get ready to commemorate World Communication Design Day
- March 27, 2012BC Design Leader Loses Battle with Cancer
- March 20, 2012It must feel like spring somewhere out there...
- March 15, 2012Sales from font to support GDC design education programs.
- March 02, 2012Don’t let your certification inadvertently lapse.
- February 29, 2012Long time collaborative relationship formalized.
- February 20, 2012Sharing the love of design.
- February 20, 2012A Canadian icon who followed his own unique path and style.
- February 15, 2012GDC Foundation Announces the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship
- January 31, 2012January marks the launch of the GDC’s Annual Chapter Member Surveys
- January 25, 2012New Group Benefits Plan includes dental, medical, life, disability and critical illness insurance.
- January 16, 2012Deadline of January 20, 2012
- January 13, 2012All the news that is design-worthy!
- December 12, 2011Donate and your name will be entered to win!
- December 01, 2011GDC Fellow, graphic designer, illustrator, artist, NSCAD Professor Emeritus and mentor, Horst Deppe, has passed away at the age of 82.
- November 30, 2011Only 25 days until Christmas... get working on that office promo now!!