In May 2012 the GDC nominated Walter Jungkind FGDC, for the prestigious Icograda Achievement Award. We are delighted to advise GDC members that our nomination was successful!"
Created in 2001, the Icograda Achievement Award honours an outstanding career. The Award may be presented to an individual or a team in recognition of outstanding and consistent achievement in the practice, education or promotion of communication design. Recipients receive a signed certificate and engraved crystal trophy.
GDC members, family and guests will share in the celebration for Walter Jungkind on Friday, October 19, 2012 at the Union Bank Inn in Edmonton, AB. The Alberta North Chapter has arranged special pricing for out-of-town guests at the same hotel.
International friends and those wishing further information are asked to get in touch with Ana Herrera CGD, .
About Walter Jungkind FGDC
Walter Jungkind is a Fellow of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada and a Fellow of the Chartered Society of Designers of Great Britain. He was a founding member of the Society of Graphic Designers in Canada, first serving as chairman of the Education Committee, and subsequently three years as National President. He also served as president of the International Council of Graphic Design Associations (Icograda), and for many years served as Canadian delegate to ATypI (Association Typographique Internationale).
In 1968 he was invited as Visiting Professor to the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, where he was instrumental in establishing the Division of Visual Communication Design and where he subsequently was promoted to Professor.
Among his honours are the Icograda Award for Design in the Educational Field, Vienna 1972, the Medal of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts 1976, an Award of Excellence from the Type Director’s Club of New York in 1979, the Chairman’s Award of Merit of the National Design Council of Canada 1979 and a Citation of Merit from the Chairman of the National Design Council in 1982. He served several years as Chairman of the Canadian Advisory Committee on International Signs and Symbols of the Standards Council of Canada and as Canadian delegate to the International Standards Organization (ISO) in Geneva. (Click here to read full bio)
Photo of Walter Jungkind FGDC at the 2006 GDC AGM, by Michael Surtees.
- May 05, 2013Design leader, typographer extraordinaire & educator passes away.
- April 13, 2013World Communication Design Day April 27: how will you celebrate it?
- March 26, 2013Applied Arts is Canada's premier magazine of the communication arts.
- March 13, 2013New National Scholarships Announced for 2013
- February 27, 2013Application deadline April 15, 2013
- February 25, 2013Carl Dair (1912-1967) Typographic Designer
- February 19, 2013Don't miss the P22 Underground type sale for members!
- February 19, 2013Take a Digital Media Labour Market Survey.
- February 14, 2013University of Toronto responds to demand
- February 08, 2013Canadian typography mates with Canadian technology.
- December 17, 2012How many shopping days left?!?! Yikes!!!
- December 13, 2012Special eNews edition for all you Holiday Givers!
- November 23, 2012$15 for 16 cards!!! Holy Black Friday Batman!!!
- November 14, 2012Designers, designer cards, designer prizes, designer members, designer sales, designer ethics, all things designer.
- November 03, 2012GDC well represented in the Student Awards
- October 22, 2012Great cause, great prizes to be won!
- October 11, 2012
- October 10, 2012Historic news from across the country and around the globe.
- October 01, 2012Working together to raise awareness of the value of the certification of designers worldwide
- September 29, 2012Want to create the new identity & brand platform for Canada's national design association?
- September 25, 2012
- September 12, 2012Welcome back to school!
- August 08, 2012Acknowledgement for Lifetime Contributions to Design
- August 07, 2012...a significant step forward in unifying, refining and enhancing visual communications certification in Canada.
- August 07, 2012Tasty design news from across the country.
- July 16, 2012National Survey closes at midnight tonight
- July 01, 2012Vintage poem and Canadian letterpress typography to commemorate Canada Day.
- July 01, 2012Canada Type builds a legacy for Canadian typography students with a new GDC National Scholarship Fund
- June 15, 2012Calling all Canadian Creatives!
- June 15, 20122012 National Scholarship Recipients Announced
- May 30, 2012GDC@50 Poster Sale to Benefit GDC Foundation
- May 30, 2012GDC is proud to support this inaugural workshop organized by Rod McDonald FGDC and Patrick Griffin of Canada Type.
- May 23, 2012New National Executive & Fellows Announced
- May 07, 2012First election in memory to decide president.
- April 13, 2012Get ready to commemorate World Communication Design Day
- March 27, 2012BC Design Leader Loses Battle with Cancer
- March 20, 2012It must feel like spring somewhere out there...
- March 15, 2012Sales from font to support GDC design education programs.
- March 02, 2012Don’t let your certification inadvertently lapse.
- February 29, 2012Long time collaborative relationship formalized.
- February 20, 2012Sharing the love of design.
- February 20, 2012A Canadian icon who followed his own unique path and style.
- February 15, 2012GDC Foundation Announces the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship
- January 31, 2012January marks the launch of the GDC’s Annual Chapter Member Surveys
- January 25, 2012New Group Benefits Plan includes dental, medical, life, disability and critical illness insurance.
- January 16, 2012Deadline of January 20, 2012
- January 13, 2012All the news that is design-worthy!
- December 12, 2011Donate and your name will be entered to win!
- December 01, 2011GDC Fellow, graphic designer, illustrator, artist, NSCAD Professor Emeritus and mentor, Horst Deppe, has passed away at the age of 82.
- November 30, 2011Only 25 days until Christmas... get working on that office promo now!!