Dear GDC Members,
It is with great pride that the GDC National Council informs you of recent developments on the international front.
The Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA) and the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada (GDC) are pleased to announce that they have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding whereby both will seek to share information, systems, strategies and methodologies concerning the development and implementation of a certification program for graphic designers in Australia.
Collaboration between the GDC and AGDA will provide the opportunity for both parties to further strengthen and support each of their certification programs bilaterally, enabling shared ideals and common objectives. Specifically, benefits will include the global positioning of GDC and AGDA certification programs as examples of world best practice; a catalyst for the development of a global certification system that may be available for designers in other countries; strength in numbers when approaching governments for support and leadership; mutual recognition of certification in Canada & Australia: a benefit for designers wishing to work within these two countries; a developing relationship between GDC and AGDA which could foster further opportunities for agreements in future years; the creation of momentum for the development of certification programs in other countries.
“The GDC has long admired and respected the work of the AGDA and we were flattered to be asked to assist them in the process of developing a certification program in Australia. The GDC has been certifying graphic and communication designers in Canada for over 50 years. We are keen to share our abundant learnings and processes with our AGDA partners,” Adrian Jean, CGD, GDC National President.
“What a momentous occasion, not only for members of the GDC and AGDA, but for all graphic and communication designers world-wide as this agreement marks the beginning of what will be the beginning of a global certification system,” AGDA President Paul van Barnveld.
At this time the GDC would like to publicly thank Dean McNeill, CGD for his role in bringing this agreement into being.
The GDC would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of the Chapter and National volunteers, past and present, who have developed, maintained and performed CGD certification over the past 50+ years. Without your direct contribution the GDC would not be recognized as an industry leader in certification. We could not do it without you and are grateful for all of your efforts.
We are excited to be working with AGDA and will look forward to providing you with regular updates on this initiative in the coming months.
- May 05, 2013Design leader, typographer extraordinaire & educator passes away.
- April 13, 2013World Communication Design Day April 27: how will you celebrate it?
- March 26, 2013Applied Arts is Canada's premier magazine of the communication arts.
- March 13, 2013New National Scholarships Announced for 2013
- February 27, 2013Application deadline April 15, 2013
- February 25, 2013Carl Dair (1912-1967) Typographic Designer
- February 19, 2013Don't miss the P22 Underground type sale for members!
- February 19, 2013Take a Digital Media Labour Market Survey.
- February 14, 2013University of Toronto responds to demand
- February 08, 2013Canadian typography mates with Canadian technology.
- December 17, 2012How many shopping days left?!?! Yikes!!!
- December 13, 2012Special eNews edition for all you Holiday Givers!
- November 23, 2012$15 for 16 cards!!! Holy Black Friday Batman!!!
- November 14, 2012Designers, designer cards, designer prizes, designer members, designer sales, designer ethics, all things designer.
- November 03, 2012GDC well represented in the Student Awards
- October 22, 2012Great cause, great prizes to be won!
- October 11, 2012
- October 10, 2012Historic news from across the country and around the globe.
- October 01, 2012Working together to raise awareness of the value of the certification of designers worldwide
- September 29, 2012Want to create the new identity & brand platform for Canada's national design association?
- September 25, 2012
- September 12, 2012Welcome back to school!
- August 08, 2012Acknowledgement for Lifetime Contributions to Design
- August 07, 2012...a significant step forward in unifying, refining and enhancing visual communications certification in Canada.
- August 07, 2012Tasty design news from across the country.
- July 16, 2012National Survey closes at midnight tonight
- July 01, 2012Vintage poem and Canadian letterpress typography to commemorate Canada Day.
- July 01, 2012Canada Type builds a legacy for Canadian typography students with a new GDC National Scholarship Fund
- June 15, 2012Calling all Canadian Creatives!
- June 15, 20122012 National Scholarship Recipients Announced
- May 30, 2012GDC@50 Poster Sale to Benefit GDC Foundation
- May 30, 2012GDC is proud to support this inaugural workshop organized by Rod McDonald FGDC and Patrick Griffin of Canada Type.
- May 23, 2012New National Executive & Fellows Announced
- May 07, 2012First election in memory to decide president.
- April 13, 2012Get ready to commemorate World Communication Design Day
- March 27, 2012BC Design Leader Loses Battle with Cancer
- March 20, 2012It must feel like spring somewhere out there...
- March 15, 2012Sales from font to support GDC design education programs.
- March 02, 2012Don’t let your certification inadvertently lapse.
- February 29, 2012Long time collaborative relationship formalized.
- February 20, 2012Sharing the love of design.
- February 20, 2012A Canadian icon who followed his own unique path and style.
- February 15, 2012GDC Foundation Announces the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship
- January 31, 2012January marks the launch of the GDC’s Annual Chapter Member Surveys
- January 25, 2012New Group Benefits Plan includes dental, medical, life, disability and critical illness insurance.
- January 16, 2012Deadline of January 20, 2012
- January 13, 2012All the news that is design-worthy!
- December 12, 2011Donate and your name will be entered to win!
- December 01, 2011GDC Fellow, graphic designer, illustrator, artist, NSCAD Professor Emeritus and mentor, Horst Deppe, has passed away at the age of 82.
- November 30, 2011Only 25 days until Christmas... get working on that office promo now!!