During the past days we have seen events of unimaginable destruction unfolding. The catastrophic breakdowns with direct physical impact are ungraspable for all of us not being there where it happens.
Developments at the nuclear power stations are even more difficult to comprehend – we have few cues to help us relate the short-mid-long-term effects to the scale of urgency we use in our everyday judgments and decision-making.
Unfortunately the news provided by official media is short on factual/objective/integral information needed for guidance and acting decisively.
We ask for your help to collect and/or produce visualizations that could help the people here in Japan in understanding and assessing what is going on, providing references for personal judgments as to what best to do.
The situation we experience requires us to make decisions, some of which do have a fundamental impact on the lives we have lived so far.
These are our most urgent questions:
• What do the various measure-units used in news updates mean?
• How do they relate to each other? ex: measures of Sievert/year, milliSievert/hour, microSievert/hour are used throughout – sometimes the per/time identifier is missing.
• Can one apply simple math to convert from one to the other?
• How do they relate to other measures such as nGy/h?
• How do they relate to a reasonable scale of everyday experience?
• Can we identify ONE normalized measure that would help to put numbers in context?
• What are the radiation levels – at any part of the country?
We do not have access to MAPS of current levels – some of the official maps simply omit locations of most concern...
• What are the expected levels?
• Forecasts, which take into account not only wind speed/direction but also altitude levels of air-mass movements, precipitations...and the impact of each of these factors on the ground?
• What are the options to act/move?
• Visualizations of advisories concerning direct/indirect exposure to radiation and food intake.
We know that we are asking a lot – but we are sure that some of you are able to distill essential data out of the many sources and translate these into meaningful and usable communications.
We are planning to publish the returns of this call on a dedicated site but also to send them to news outlets here in Japan hoping they would share them with the large audiences desperate for help.
The visualizations should speak for themselves, please use as little textual information as possible – always keep in mind that the audience speaks JAPANESE. If you have access to native speakers, ask for their help.
Please submit your presentations as editable PDF files – that will help us to do the necessary translations.
In your return include the following data
Your affiliation (if any)
The source(s) of the data used
A waiver confirming your agreement to the free distribution and usage of your submission
Thank you very much for your support,
Institute for Information Design Japan
Chuo Ku, Nihonbashi
Horidome Cho 1.2.9
- February 27, 2014
- February 13, 2014Don't forget to wash your hands! See the GermSmart campaign case study.
- January 14, 2014Support for the Canada 150th online petition is growing!
- December 29, 2013Support the GDC Foundation! Last chance to enter the Get Behind Design draw!
- December 15, 2013Part One of a December Double Whammy
- December 14, 2013
- November 15, 2013Annual GDC Foundation Campaign Kicks Off
- October 08, 2013Graphex CFE deadline and Annual GDC Foundation Campaign launched.
- October 07, 2013It was a great year!
- September 14, 2013Remembering Canadian design legends
- August 30, 2013
- August 28, 2013
- August 15, 2013News with traction!
- August 13, 2013A Celebration of Canadian Design Pioneers
- July 17, 2013Designers commit their expertise to flood victims.
- June 21, 2013
- June 13, 2013Student scholarships explode!
- May 05, 2013Design leader, typographer extraordinaire & educator passes away.
- April 13, 2013World Communication Design Day April 27: how will you celebrate it?
- March 26, 2013Applied Arts is Canada's premier magazine of the communication arts.
- March 13, 2013New National Scholarships Announced for 2013
- February 27, 2013Application deadline April 15, 2013
- February 25, 2013Carl Dair (1912-1967) Typographic Designer
- February 19, 2013Don't miss the P22 Underground type sale for members!
- February 19, 2013Take a Digital Media Labour Market Survey.
- February 14, 2013University of Toronto responds to demand
- February 08, 2013Canadian typography mates with Canadian technology.
- December 17, 2012How many shopping days left?!?! Yikes!!!
- December 13, 2012Special eNews edition for all you Holiday Givers!
- November 23, 2012$15 for 16 cards!!! Holy Black Friday Batman!!!
- November 14, 2012Designers, designer cards, designer prizes, designer members, designer sales, designer ethics, all things designer.
- November 03, 2012GDC well represented in the Student Awards
- October 22, 2012Great cause, great prizes to be won!
- October 10, 2012Historic news from across the country and around the globe.
- October 01, 2012Working together to raise awareness of the value of the certification of designers worldwide
- September 29, 2012Want to create the new identity & brand platform for Canada's national design association?
- September 25, 2012
- September 12, 2012Welcome back to school!
- August 08, 2012Acknowledgement for Lifetime Contributions to Design
- August 07, 2012...a significant step forward in unifying, refining and enhancing visual communications certification in Canada.
- August 07, 2012Tasty design news from across the country.
- July 16, 2012National Survey closes at midnight tonight
- July 01, 2012Vintage poem and Canadian letterpress typography to commemorate Canada Day.
- July 01, 2012Canada Type builds a legacy for Canadian typography students with a new GDC National Scholarship Fund
- June 15, 2012Calling all Canadian Creatives!
- June 15, 20122012 National Scholarship Recipients Announced
- May 30, 2012GDC@50 Poster Sale to Benefit GDC Foundation
- May 30, 2012GDC is proud to support this inaugural workshop organized by Rod McDonald FGDC and Patrick Griffin of Canada Type.
- May 23, 2012New National Executive & Fellows Announced
- May 07, 2012First election in memory to decide president.