Ottawa (Canada) On the occasion of World Graphic Design Day, Canada’s design professionals have adopted a working definition of sustainable communication design and incorporated sustainability values and principles as key tenets of the Canadian graphic design practice.
Defining Sustainable Practice
Unanimously endorsed at the annual general meeting of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada (GDC) held from 24-25 April 2009 in Winnipeg, the working definition states:
Sustainable communication design is the application of sustainability principles to communication design practice. Practitioners consider the full life cycle of products and services, and commit to strategies, processes and materials that value environmental, cultural, social and economic responsibility.
The definition is supported by a statement of values and principles to guide the GDC and its members’ actions:
1. Encourage the evolution of the GDC and the graphic design practice by:
- acknowledging that we are part of an interdependent world;
- accepting responsibility for the consequences our actions have on our natural environment;
- developing and building sustainable strategies and practices;
- participating with the international design community in developing global best practices working to create products and services that are re-usable and/or provide long term value;
- and by purchasing recycled, local and non-toxic materials wherever possible.
2. Demonstrate our commitment to improve the natural environment by:
- sharing these principles through our Icograda network;
- collaborating with other design organizations worldwide to promote and develop best practices for sustainable communications design;
- integrating environmental criteria into all design processes and organizational decision making;
- employing accountable and transparent processes and procedures;
- reviewing our environmental impacts regularly and continually working to reduce them;
- adopting practices that use materials in continuous cycles;
- seeking suppliers who use sustainable practices;
- acting as community and industry advocates for environmentally responsible design practices;
- and by developing and providing products and services that improve the quality of life of all beings and support the health and well-being of the planet.
3. Raise and foster awareness of sustainable communication design practice by:
- promoting the intrinsic and greater value of sustainable communication design;
- encouraging clients to integrate sustainable principles into their communication projects;
- providing education and information resources to our members and the community at large to inform environmentally responsible design decisions;
- and by championing sustainable communication solutions for our communities.
Valerie Elliott MGDC, Chair of the GDC’s National Sustainability Committee said, “Our goal is not to develop a definition by consensus but rather to share dialogue and engage in the process of development in tandem with others around the world. To this end, over the past year, we have crafted this working definition as a starting point for initial discussions with worldwide graphic design organizations.”
“Graphic designers view our practice as a problem-solving discipline. The GDC recognizes that design is a key component in changing the future of the world’s health.” added Rod Roodenburg MGDC, GDC President. “We need to consider not only the work we produce for our clients but how we run our design practices. The definition, values and principles unanimously endorsed by our National Council provide the framework for the GDC to build solid policy, hold ourselves accountable as an organization, and through the actions of our members, as a profession.”
- May 05, 2013Design leader, typographer extraordinaire & educator passes away.
- April 13, 2013World Communication Design Day April 27: how will you celebrate it?
- March 26, 2013Applied Arts is Canada's premier magazine of the communication arts.
- March 13, 2013New National Scholarships Announced for 2013
- February 27, 2013Application deadline April 15, 2013
- February 25, 2013Carl Dair (1912-1967) Typographic Designer
- February 19, 2013Don't miss the P22 Underground type sale for members!
- February 19, 2013Take a Digital Media Labour Market Survey.
- February 14, 2013University of Toronto responds to demand
- February 08, 2013Canadian typography mates with Canadian technology.
- December 17, 2012How many shopping days left?!?! Yikes!!!
- December 13, 2012Special eNews edition for all you Holiday Givers!
- November 23, 2012$15 for 16 cards!!! Holy Black Friday Batman!!!
- November 14, 2012Designers, designer cards, designer prizes, designer members, designer sales, designer ethics, all things designer.
- November 03, 2012GDC well represented in the Student Awards
- October 22, 2012Great cause, great prizes to be won!
- October 11, 2012
- October 10, 2012Historic news from across the country and around the globe.
- October 01, 2012Working together to raise awareness of the value of the certification of designers worldwide
- September 29, 2012Want to create the new identity & brand platform for Canada's national design association?
- September 25, 2012
- September 12, 2012Welcome back to school!
- August 08, 2012Acknowledgement for Lifetime Contributions to Design
- August 07, 2012...a significant step forward in unifying, refining and enhancing visual communications certification in Canada.
- August 07, 2012Tasty design news from across the country.
- July 16, 2012National Survey closes at midnight tonight
- July 01, 2012Vintage poem and Canadian letterpress typography to commemorate Canada Day.
- July 01, 2012Canada Type builds a legacy for Canadian typography students with a new GDC National Scholarship Fund
- June 15, 2012Calling all Canadian Creatives!
- June 15, 20122012 National Scholarship Recipients Announced
- May 30, 2012GDC@50 Poster Sale to Benefit GDC Foundation
- May 30, 2012GDC is proud to support this inaugural workshop organized by Rod McDonald FGDC and Patrick Griffin of Canada Type.
- May 23, 2012New National Executive & Fellows Announced
- May 07, 2012First election in memory to decide president.
- April 13, 2012Get ready to commemorate World Communication Design Day
- March 27, 2012BC Design Leader Loses Battle with Cancer
- March 20, 2012It must feel like spring somewhere out there...
- March 15, 2012Sales from font to support GDC design education programs.
- March 02, 2012Don’t let your certification inadvertently lapse.
- February 29, 2012Long time collaborative relationship formalized.
- February 20, 2012Sharing the love of design.
- February 20, 2012A Canadian icon who followed his own unique path and style.
- February 15, 2012GDC Foundation Announces the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship
- January 31, 2012January marks the launch of the GDC’s Annual Chapter Member Surveys
- January 25, 2012New Group Benefits Plan includes dental, medical, life, disability and critical illness insurance.
- January 16, 2012Deadline of January 20, 2012
- January 13, 2012All the news that is design-worthy!
- December 12, 2011Donate and your name will be entered to win!
- December 01, 2011GDC Fellow, graphic designer, illustrator, artist, NSCAD Professor Emeritus and mentor, Horst Deppe, has passed away at the age of 82.
- November 30, 2011Only 25 days until Christmas... get working on that office promo now!!