Check out the online GDC publications store by clicking here or visit your local bookshop to ask for some of these recommendations below..
Gill, Bob, Forget All The Rules You Ever Learned About Graphic Design, Including The Ones In This Book.
New York, 1981, Watson-Guptill
Unlike most books on graphic design, this one talks about how to think, concept, and problem solve.
MacLeod, Scott, Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art.
Kitchen Sink, 1993
If you're a visual communicator, you'll get something out of this thoughtful foray into the world of comics – all told in comic-book form. Very enjoyable and instructive.
Pye, David, The Nature and Art of Workmanship.
More about object design but also applicable and everyone should read – also his "the Nature of Design."
Shahn, Ben, The Shape of Content.
Rand, Paul, A Designer's Art.
Yale University Press, 1985
Essential book on design.
Thompson, D'Arcy, On Growth and Form.
Design in nature, get the abridged.
Tufte, Edward R., The Visual Display of Quantitative Information.
Cheshire CT, 1983, Graphics Press
Tufte, Edward R., Envisioning Information
Cheshire CT, 1990, Graphics Press
(Box 430-Y, Cheshire CT, 06410)
Both should be required reading for all graphic designers.
Venturi, Robert, Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture.
Pluralism versus modernist formalist purism – addresses architecture but applies easily to 2D... can't think of a book nearly as good specifically for graphic design.
Information Design Workbook
Graphic approaches, solutions, and inspiration plus 30 case studies
by Kim Baer (Author), Jill Vacarra (Collaborator)
Publisher: Rockport Publishers (May 1, 2008)
Mark Choco, Le Design au Québec
History of design in Québec
Poppy Evans, Forms Folds Sizes, Rockport 1-59253-054-0
Jim Krause, Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components & Developing Creative Con
Tim Krause, Design Basic Ideas, How Design Books 1-58180-501-2
William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler, Universal Principles of Design: A Cross-Disciplinary Reference
Mark Oldach, Creativity for Graphic Designers, North Light Books 1-58180-055-X
Paula Scherr, Make it Bigger
Adrian Shaughnessy, How to Be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing Your Soul
Robin Williams, Robin Williams Design Workshop, (also has great advice on project management and managing client relationships)
Information Design Source Book, Institute for Information Design Japan
- May 15, 2012
- May 15, 2012
- Recommended by GDC members and GDC Listserv participants
- January 11, 2008Recommendations and comments by GDC Listserv members
- July 29, 2008The internationally acclaimed GDC Journal is the GDC's showcase publication.
- July 08, 2008Suggestions from the Listserv
- Award winning book designed by Catharine Bradbury MGDC of Bradbury Branding & Design
- January 11, 2008A collection of case studies that show design in action
- Are you being paid what you're worth?
- Online resources with tips on creating graphic standards and branding guidelines
- On line resources with tips on practicing eco-friendly design
- January 11, 2008Must-visit websites for graphic designers
- Access to Canadian Design talent, Published by Design Exchange
- Sites for everything type-related
- influencing design and typography
- January 11, 2008Blogs, lists, online forums for designers
- December 29, 2012