In addition to the GDC National Scholarship Awards, numerous GDC Chapters offer local award programs. Contact the chapter in your region for information.
GDC Alberta South and ACAD Celebrate a Strong Relationship.
For more information please contact the GDC/AB South Education Chair, Elaine Prodor at
For information about GDC Atlantic's student scholarships and work placements, please contact your post-secondary school, or GDC Atlantic's Education Chair firstname.lastname@example.org.
GDC/BC Salazar Student Awards
The Salazar Student Award was established by the GDC/BC in February 1985 in honour of Enrique Salazar, one of the founding members of the Society and the national representative for the BC Chapter for two years. He was a partner in Salazar Graphics and taught graphic design at Capilano College until his death in June of 1985. The Salazar Student Award therefore honours and recognizes the cream of the crop of each years’ design graduates—and promotes them to the design community.
Awards also includes cash honorariums of $500, a GDC Graduate Membership for the following year and an award certificate, all through the GDC/BC and the Metropolitan Fine Printers Scholarship Fund, created in support of design education in BC.
Open to graduating students of 2, 3- and 4-year design programmes in British Columbia (including Vancouver Island), the criteria demands that written rationales accompany the work—be it finished pieces, rough concepts, or strategic briefs. If it involves the development of skills related to design and communication, it will be judged—no matter what the medium. Applicants must be a Student Member of the GDC.
Contact the BC Chapter for more information.
Jim Rimmer Community Scholarship for Design
The Jim Rimmer Community Scholarship for Design Award is awarded annually to two students, or student groups, who have applied their design thinking to benefit their community and effectively communicate a message, affect action and promote change. The awards include two $1,000 scholarships from Hemlock Printers Ltd.
Jim Rimmer was a pivotal influence in Canadian letterpress and private press. Many of his typefaces, such as Albertan are ubiquitous in print and digital graphic design worldwide. His stature as an icon was recognized in 2007 when he was awarded a fellowship by the GDC.
Sadly, Jim Rimmer passed away on January 9th, 2010 after battling cancer. The scholarship was initially announced in November 2009 at Practivism, an annual GDCBC event. Jim knew of the scholarship in his name, though he was too ill to attend Practivism.
BC Vancouver Island
The Cady | Marshall Scholarship was announced in January 2008: 3 annual awards of $500 each. Contact
RGD Ontario Scholarship Awards
The RGD Ontario Scholarship Awards program, an annual competition, is open to full-time students enrolled in the second year of a three-year graphic design program or third year of a four-year graphic design program in Ontario, and who are Student members of the Association. Students are required to submit three samples of recent work and a completed application form which asks the student to indicate why they believe they should be considered for an Award. In addition, each student must be recommended by an Instructor who is a Registered Graphic Designer (R.G.D.).
- Enter your submissions for the GDC National Scholarships!
- Tips on how to write the who, what, where and why for your design solution.
- GDC Foundation Announces Award for the "Thinking Designer"
- Celebrating 10 Years of Fresh Canadian Talent
- GDC Foundation Announces the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship
- An outline of the annual national scholarship awards programme
- Helping Canadian design students achieve their goals
- Your company can support graphic design education in Canada.
- Local scholarship information
- 2010 Awards open to GDC Student members.
- The GDC VI is proud to bring you the first scholarship available exclusively to professional members of our chapter, as well as three new scholarships open exclusively to GDC VI students.
- Canadian design students excel and impress!
- The bar is raised even higher!
- Canadian design students win big at national awards programme
- Take a peek at the winners!
- Read about our previous scholarship winners