The GDC Foundation is pleased to announce that winner of the first Ray Hrynkow Scholarship is Cheryl Loh, for her re-brand of CEWIGO, The Centre for Women in Governance, a non-profit organization in Uganda. Cheryl is a third year student at Emily Carr University of Art + Design, in Vancouver, BC.
Cheryl said about her work, "the project challenged me as a designer and person. I was challenged to work in several mediums (print, web, motion) for a client overseas, in Uganda. The project was extremely rewarding, as I realized how much I could accomplish in new situations, and how my design could make a positive impact for a deserving client."
Cheryl's project design also won the GDC BC Mainland Chapter's 2011 Jim Rimmer Scholarship for Design at Practivism 4.
The $500 Scholarship is awarded in memory of Ray Hrynkow FGDC, a respected Vancouver design professional who passed away in March. The Scholarship both honours Ray’s career and promotes “intelligent design,” which has been fundamental to his practise and something he always encouraged in students and young designers. Awarded to a third year student in a four-year design degree program, the scholarship is for the "thinking designer." The criteria ranges from an understanding of how to better motivate human beings to honour their planet, to understanding what it means to be a single parent, to anything in between; not necessarily altruistic; simply intelligent and not materialistic.
The judges were:
Larry Burke, BDes, CGD, President GDC Atlantic Chapter, Halifax NS
Ana Herrera, MDes, MBA, CGD, GDC National Treasurer and President, Alberta North Chapter, Edmonton AB
Jim Hudson, BDes, CGD, GDC National Past President, principal in Hudson Creative Agency, from Moncton NB
Karin Jager, MEd, CGD, Coordinator, IDEA Program, Capilano University, North Vancouver, BC
Jennifer Luckay, CGD, former GDC National Treasurer, Art Director at Kellett Communications, Yellowknife, NWT
Michael Maynard, BFA, MFA, CGD, FGDC, Director at New Brunswick College of Craft & Design in Fredericton, NB
Brenda Sanderson, BA, BFA, MA, CGD, Executive Director at iXDa, former Managing Director at Icograda, from Montreal QC
The judges praised Cheryl's strategic thinking and solid rationale. Larry Burke said: "Solid program of branding with a good rationale. Looked at what she was trying to accomplish and how it was executed – it was a success in terms of what she accomplished. Well considered overall campaign, and Cheryl demonstrated ability and real thought in her solution. Altruistic organization – not just about selling!"
Michael Maynard said: "Designing and redesigning a visual identity,– a brand for a women’s policy NGO. Very appropriate and professional way to take an academic project and apply it to the real world. Her strategic thinking was very good. Logical presentation and good design."
"I started with the GDC in the early 80’s and its gratifying to know that the work of so many people over the years is continuing to build and continuing to benefit not only the educational institutions but also the profession and society. We are educating students with a social conscience with a commitment to make the world a better place as well as using wonderful typefaces and interesting layouts."
- Michael Maynard, CGD, FGDC
For information about donating to the Ray Hyrnkow Scholarship fund, see http://www.gdc.net/about/foundation/articles/1421.php
To find out more about the GDC Foundation, visit http://www.gdc.net/about/foundation.htm
- Enter your submissions for the GDC National Scholarships!
- Tips on how to write the who, what, where and why for your design solution.
- GDC Foundation Announces Award for the "Thinking Designer"
- Celebrating 10 Years of Fresh Canadian Talent
- GDC Foundation Announces the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship
- An outline of the annual national scholarship awards programme
- Helping Canadian design students achieve their goals
- Your company can support graphic design education in Canada.
- Local scholarship information
- 2010 Awards open to GDC Student members.
- The GDC VI is proud to bring you the first scholarship available exclusively to professional members of our chapter, as well as three new scholarships open exclusively to GDC VI students.
- Canadian design students excel and impress!
- The bar is raised even higher!
- Canadian design students win big at national awards programme
- Take a peek at the winners!
- Read about our previous scholarship winners