For 2012 the GDC National Scholarship Partners have donated the following awards:
$2,500 Veer Scholarships
$2,000 Adobe Scholarship
$1,000 Applied Arts Scholarship
NEW! The GDC Foundation Ray Hrynkow Scholarship, for the thinking designer, $500.
Click here for more information.
The GDC National Scholarship Awards are Canada’s preeminent educational awards, funded by Canada’s top design-related companies, and coordinated by the GDC. Since 1956 the GDC has been dedicated to improving graphic design standards and practice in the workplace and in schools. The GDC National Scholarship Awards were initiated in 2003 to encourage and support students in taking their design education to a level that will better prepare them for professional practice.
Talented individuals from across Canada who are full-time students enrolled in a 2-, 3- or 4-year graphic design degree or diploma program, who are returning to continue their studies, are invited to enter the GDC National Scholarship Awards Program. Applicants must be student member of the GDC, SDGQ or RGD Ontario (membership must be activated). Member at Large status is available to students in areas where there are no GDC regional chapters. Educators or institutions may also request memberships for entire classes.
Winners receive scholarship awards which are applied directly to their tuition fees. The winning students are profiled on the GDC national website, the national newsletter, and also receive prominent coverage in Canada’s national design media. Past winners have been profiled in a feature in Applied Arts Magazine and shown on the GDC website.
Promotional materials for the following year's scholarships are are designed by a winning student who receives an honorarium for their work. This year's materials were designed by 2011 recipient Carl Shura from Red River College in Winnipeg.
We encourage all applicants to join a professional graphic design association in their locale, and to become National GDC members Click here to view GDC membership or Member at Large information.
The judging takes place on 29 April 2012 in Moncton, New Brunswick, following the GDC National Annual General Meeting, and successful applicants will be announced in May 2012 on the GDC website.
Download an application form and submit your work by 20 April 2012 to:
GDC National Scholarship Program
c/o Hudson Design Group
860 Main Street, Site 600
Moncton, NB E1C 1G2
Please use (506) 852-3803 for the shipping waybill only.
If you have any questions please contact the
GDC Executive Director at:
Tel: (613) 567-5400,
or Toll Free: 1-877-496-4453
Click here to download an English application form.
Click here to download a French application form.
Sponsor a GDC Scholarship:
Your company can support graphic design education in Canada. Design firms wishing to sponsor a scholarship award must employ at least one GDC certified graphic designer (CGD).
- Enter your submissions for the GDC National Scholarships!
- Tips on how to write the who, what, where and why for your design solution.
- GDC Foundation Announces Award for the "Thinking Designer"
- Celebrating 10 Years of Fresh Canadian Talent
- GDC Foundation Announces the Ray Hrynkow Scholarship
- An outline of the annual national scholarship awards programme
- Helping Canadian design students achieve their goals
- Your company can support graphic design education in Canada.
- Local scholarship information
- 2010 Awards open to GDC Student members.
- The GDC VI is proud to bring you the first scholarship available exclusively to professional members of our chapter, as well as three new scholarships open exclusively to GDC VI students.
- Canadian design students excel and impress!
- The bar is raised even higher!
- Canadian design students win big at national awards programme
- Take a peek at the winners!
- Read about our previous scholarship winners